Friday, August 7, 2009

First Day of Class, Bus Tour, Lost with Professor Stuart





The first day of class was both adventurous and extremely educational. The early history of Austria and the ascension for the Habsburgs to power are not easily understood though the textbook alone. In my reading I had attained a basic understanding of the formation of the Habsburg dynasty, but the complexity of their ruling methods and preservation of their dynasty is something that needed further exploration through lecture. Professor Stuart’s film and accompanying lecture really inspired an understanding of how the Habsburg dynasty was distinguished from the other monarchies of Europe during the era. The main differences that separate the family, and personally what I think makes it significantly more incredible that they were able to extend their rule so long, are the election of rulers and sheer size of the empire they controlled. The simple fact that the 7 electors of the Holy Roman Emperor could have voted down the Habsburgs in any election and thus ended their rule makes their ability to sustain their power for more than 3 centuries incredible. This really goes show what extensive political control and monetary wealth the family had in order to ensure election and at times bribe the electors when needed.

The territorial acquisitions through the dynastic marriages to Mary of Burgundy, Juana of Castile, and Anna of Bohemia-Hungary made the empire progressively larger by huge proportions. The Habsburgs gained land in the north, west (and new world), and east respectively through these marriages at the height of expansion. Not only did they gain land in these acquisitions, but also a great deal of money. Mary of Burgundy was extremely wealthy and the Spanish colonies in the New World brought in tremendous amounts of gold and silver that made the Habsburgs extraordinarily wealthy. This wealth seemed to be able to offset the major problems of having an empire that spanned most of the known world. The flow of money was able to sustain the Hapsburg re-election to the Emperorship and finance the costs of maintaining the empire, while allowing the family to beautify and expand their personal properties and way of life. While this money did not solve all the problems of ruling a vast empire, it undoubtedly aided the maintenance of their control over the Holy Roman Empire

After class we took an exceptional bus tour narrated by Dr. O and later I was fortunate enough to be able to take some of Professor Stuart’s advice, but not in the way I was expecting. Professor Stuart had advised us to get lost, while this sounds ridiculous I actually see it as an excellent way to see parts of the city I wouldn’t have otherwise known about. It also forces oneself to be immersed in new aspects of Viennese culture. I was expecting, well assuming, that I would get lost at least once while I was here, but I certainly wasn’t expecting it to be with the person who gave me that advice! In my few days here I have gathered that Professor Stuart is very knowledgeable of the city and culture so when she told us to board a train with her I assumed she knew where we were going. Little did we know, we would be thoroughly lost in minutes. Luckily we were able to board another train and find our way back to where we were trying to go, but I am definitely glad I got lost for my first time in Vienna with someone who is fluent in German and knows how to navigate the city well. I cautiously look forward to more adventures in the city where I don’t necessarily know where I’m going. I see it as a chance to do and see things I wouldn’t have otherwise done and thus expand my horizons. It speaks to my greater goals of this trip as a whole, to get out of my element and try new things. I think the worst thing I could do while I’m here is stay constricted to my comfort zone and only follow a guidebook around. One of the great things about Vienna is the availability of a vast public transportation system and I intend to use it as much as I can to see the city in ways I wouldn’t on a tour. Perhaps this will give me the best opportunity to understand Austrian culture and what truly makes Vienna the great city it is.

German word of the day is Meistens that means 'mostly'

No comments:

Post a Comment